Battery Covington (1904-1917) - Battery Covington was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 8 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Taylor (2), Florida. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 15 May 1903 after BG Leonard Covington, who died 14 Nov 1813, of wounds received at the battle of Chrystlers Fields, Canada, 11 Nov 1813, during the War of 1812. Battery construction started May 1897, was completed Nov 1903 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 30 Jun 1904 at a cost of $ 99,276.45. Deactivated in 1917.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Key West.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 8" M1888MII guns mounted on M1894 disappearing carriages. The care of guns and carriages was informally turned over to Coast Artillery troops in 1898 but formal turnover did not occur until 30 Jun 1904.
This is a two story battery with the guns on the upper level and the magazines and support rooms on the lower level. Shell hoists were required to move the heavy shells from the magazine level to the gun loading area. Taylor-Raymond back loading shell hoists were installed in 1907 and accepted for use 25 Aug 1907. Electrical power for the hoists and lighting was furnished by the plant in Battery De Leon.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. On 24 Aug 1917 both Battery Covington guns were ordered dismounted for use abroad and on 22 Oct 1917 they were transferred to Watervliet Arsenal for modification. The guns never actually made it overseas and were eventually scrapped.
In 1943 Battery De Leon and Battery Covington were modified by placing two 155mm Panama mounts on each one as a temporary measure until the harbor defenses modernization could be completed. The Panama mounts were accepted for service 4 Mar 1943 at a cost of $ 8,750. Battery Covington and Battery De Leon were partially demolished to make way for Battery 231 and fully removed in 1962.
Battery destroyed. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: Area 8 Jan 2009