Battery 155 - Costa Mesa
Battery 155 - Costa Mesa (1941-1943) - Battery 155 - Costa Mesa was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts located in Costa Mesa, Orange County, California. Operated as a sub-post of Fort MacArthur. Battery construction started in December 1941, was completed in September 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 11 Sep 1943 at a cost of $ 18,733.87. The late completion and acceptance date reflect the addition of a third Panama mount to the original two. Deactivated in 1943.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Los Angeles.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with two 155mm M1918MI rapid fire guns mounted on M1918MI mobile marriages emplaced on circular Panama mounts. A third Panama mount was provided in 1943 but only two guns were ever provided.
No period guns or carriages in place. Panama mounts destroyed.
Visited: 8 Jan 2013