Battery 122 (1943-1948) - Battery 122 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 16 inch coastal gun battery on Fort John Custis, Nothampton County, Virginia. Battery construction started 18 Aug 1941, was completed 30 Jun 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 12 Nov 1943 at a cost of $ 1,554,866.00. Named Battery Winslow in G.O. 46, 17 Sep 1942, after Brigadier General Eben Eveleth Winslow, U.S. Army, designer and superintendent of construction of fortifications at Honolulu and the Panama Canal. Deactivated in 1948.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Chesapeake Bay.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 16" MarkII-M1 guns mounted on M4 shielded Barbette carriages. This was a single story gun battery with the two 16" gun emplacements 500' apart connected by an earth covered reinforced concrete magazine and support structure. Shells and powder were moved directly from the magazine to the gun loading platform. Electrical power was generated from a power plant within the structure. The guns were traversed and elevated by electric motors.
No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 26 Jul 2010