Fort John Custis
Fort John Custis ((1940-1981) - Established in 1940 as Fort Winslow (1) to complement Fort Story in protecting the entrance to Chesapeake Bay. Renamed Fort John Custis in G.O. 49, 1 Oct 1942, after Captain John Parke Custis, USA. The Fort closed in 1948 and was occupied by Fort Custis Lashup Radar Site from 1950 to 1952 and by Cape Charles Air Force Station from 1952 to 1981. Also known as Fort Custis.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Chesapeake Bay.
Cold War (1947-1991)
The U.S. Air Force operated the Fort Custis Lashup Radar Site with an ID of L-15 here on 1 Jan 1951 manned by the 771st AC&W Squadron. The Lashup site was renamed Cape Charles Air Force Station 1 Dec 1953. As a permanent site the designation changed to P-56 and when the site joined the SAGE System the designation changed to Z-56. Closed 1 Jun 1981 and became the property of the US Fish & Wildlife Service in 1984.
The Fort property is now the Eastern Shore of Virginia National Wildlife Refuge.
Visited: 26 Jul 2010