Battery 104 (1944-1948) - Battery 104 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 16 inch coastal gun battery located on East Point Military Reservation, Nahant, Essex County, Massachusetts. Later named Battery John B. Murphy. Battery construction started in 23 Jan 1942, was completed 18 Dec 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 19 Jun 1944 at a cost of $ 1,655,582.00. Deactivated in 1948.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Boston, Massachusetts.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 16" MarkII-M1 guns mounted on M4 Casemated Barbette Carriages (CBC). This battery was a single level battery with the guns located on the same level as the central magazine. Each gun emplacement was casemated with heavy, reinforced concrete overhead protection and earth covering. The central magazine was built between and connecting the gun emplacements so that the powder and shells could be brought directly to the guns using overhead tracks and chain hoists or ammunition carts. See 16" Rifle MarkII-M1.
Part of Northeastern University, Nahant, Essex County, Massachusetts. Used for marine research. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 9 Jun 2012
Battery 104 Picture Gallery