Trempealeau Post (1685-1686) - A French Colonial era post established in 1685 by explorer Nicholas Perrot as a winter post near the present-day town of Trempealeau, Trempealeau County, Wisconsin. Also known as Fort Trempealeau. Abandoned in 1686. Re-established as the French Linctot's Post (1731-1736).
First established in the fall of 1685 as a stockaded winter post by the French explorer Nicholas Perrot and his men. The site was located near the confluence of the Trempealeau and Mississippi rivers. It was selected because it was sheltered and offered both abundant wood for fuel and game for food.
The group stayed at this post during the winter of 1685-1686, moving up the Mississippi River in the spring of 1686 to establish Fort Saint Antoine.
In 1732, a French fort was built on Perrot’s winter camp and was used until 1737. Today, the approximate location of Perrot’s first camp is recognized with a historical marker near the park’s entrance.
At the end of the Fox Indian wars in 1731 the French under René Godefroy, Sieur de Linctot returned to Trempealeau and established a trading post known as Linctot's Post which remained active until 1736.
John Jacob Astor's American Fur Company built a post on this site in the 1820s.
Now part of Perrot State Park. Archelogical remains.