Silver Lake Air Warning Station
Silver Lake Air Warning Station (1948-1951) - A Cold War USAF Air Warning Station (AWS) was first established in 1948 near Silver Lake in Everett, Snohomish County, Washington. Named Silver Lake Air Warning Station after the location. Became the headquarters of the U.S. Air Force (USAF) 25th Air Division (AD) and the site of the Silver Lake Manual Air Defense Control Center (ADCC). Deactivated as an Air Warning Station in 1951 with functions moved to McChord Air Force Base.
Established at the Silver Lake AWS Station on 25 Oct 1948 as Headquarters of the 25th Air Division (Defense) under the Fourth Air Force. The Headquarters would later be reassigned to the Western Air Defense Force in February 1950. Initial authorized strength included 18 Officers and 31 enlisted personnel. It was the first postwar Air Warning Station opened by the newly created USAF Air Defense Command
In addition to the Headquarters, and staff functions the station was the site of the Silver Lake Manual Air Defense Control Center (ADCC) established to provide a command and control facility for the fledgling radar network being established in the Pacific Northwest
The Silver Lake Air Warning Station remained operational until 15 Sep 1951 when the Headquarters and the manual direction center were moved to McChord Air Force Base. On 11 Aug 1953, the Silver Lake AWS was declared excess. The permits and licenses were terminated on 28 Sep 1953 and the leases were terminated during 1953 and 1954. At the time of excess, 18 buildings were left on the site.