Queen Ann's Redoubt
Queen Ann's Redoubt (1779-1821) - A British redoubt built in advance of Fort George (9) in 1779 in present day Pensacola, Escambia County, Florida. Captured by Spanish forces in 1781 and renamed Fort San Bernardo. Also known as Queen's Redoubt.
The Fort George complex was attacked by Spanish General Bernardo de Galvez and besieged from 24 Apr 1781 to 8 May 1781. On the 8th of May a Spanish howitzer shell exploded in a powder magazine of the Queen Ann's Redoubt destroying the redoubt and killing many of the British troops. The Spanish occupied the destroyed redoubt and trained their cannons on the fort and the remaining redoubt at short range. This action made the British positions untenable and the British Garrison surrendered that day. British General John Campbell signed the formal capitulation documents the next day, 9 May 1781. With the capture of Pensacola, Bernardo de Galvez controlled of all the major ports on the gulf coast and the British were denied access to the American Colonies from the gulf for the remainder of the Revolutionary War.
Queen Ann's Redoubt was renamed Fort San Bernardo by the Spanish after the battle.
Private property, Escambia County, Florida.
Visited: 3 Jan 2012