Mission San Pedro y San Pablo de Bicuñer
Mission San Pedro y San Pablo de Bicuñer (1781-1781) - A Catholic mission established in 1781 by Father Francisco Garcés in present-day Imperial County, California near Yuma Arizona. Associated with the Franciscan order and named for the Apostles Saint Peter and Saint Paul.
The mission was founded on 7 Jan 1781, by Spanish Padre Francisco Garcés, to protect the Anza Trail where it forded the Colorado River, between the Mexican provinces of Alta California and New Navarre (now the border between Arizona and California). The 1200-mile Anza trail connected Nogales with San Francisco. Two missions were established here some 8 miles apart, the first was Mission Puerto de Purísima Concepción, built in 1780 also by Father Francisco Garcés
This Mission and the surrounding settlement were located about 10 miles northeast of Yuma Crossing but were not part of the Spanish California missions chain, but were a part of the Arizona missions chain. The local area was populated by the Yuma (Quechan) Indians.
The Spanish colonists seized the best lands, destroyed the local crops, and generally mistreated the Yumas. The Yumas retaliated by attacking both the Spanish Missions and settlements between 17-19 Jul 1781. They killed the Spanish friars and soldiers, some 50 men total and captured the women and children. The Yuma victory effectively closed the Anza Trail and crippled communications over this route between Mexico and San Francisco.
No visible remains. California roadside marker No. 921 is located at the site in Imperial County, California. Fort Yuma is located nearby.
Visited: 1 Apr 2019