Lispenard's Redoubt (1776-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War redoubt established in 1776 in present day New York City, New York County, New York. Named Lispenard's Redoubt after Leonard Lispenard, delegate to the Provincial Convention and member of the Committee of One Hundred. Captured in 1776, improved and used by the British during their occupation of New York City. Renamed by the British as Star Redoubt (2). Returned to Patriot control when the British evacuated New York City in 1783. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.
History of Lispenard's Redoubt
A Patriot Revolutionary War fortification established in 1776 in present day New York City. Built with Lispenard's Redoubt covering the northern approach to the city and nearby Grenadier's Battery covering the western approach from the Hudson River. Strategically this was the western end of the line of fortifications guarding New York City itself.
Captured in November 1776 with the fall of the city to British troops. Reconstructed, improved and used by the British during their occupation of New York City. The land side redoubt was renamed by the British as Star Redoubt (2) while Grenadier's Battery became the Foundry Redoubt.
The complex was returned to Patriot control when the British evacuated New York City on 25 Nov 1783. Abandoned as a fortification later in 1783 at the end of the war.
No remains. Lispenard's Redoubt is said to have been located at the intersection of Laight Street and Varick Street in New York City. This area is heavily overbuilt with the approaches to the Holland Tunnel.