Grenadier's Battery (1776-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War fortification first established as Grenadier's Battery in 1776 in New York City, New York County, New York. Named Grenadier's Battery after the Patriot Grenadier Company of New York Independents. Captured in 1776, improved and used by the British during their occupation of New York City. Renamed by the British as Foundary Redoubt. Returned to Patriot control when the British evacuated New York City in 1783. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war.
History of Grenadier's Battery
A Patriot Revolutionary War circular battery established in 1776 in present day New York City. Built with nearby Lispenard's Redoubt covering the northern approach to the city and Grenadier's Battery covering the western approach from the Hudson River. Strategically this was the western end of the line of fortifications guarding New York City itself. Connected by entrenchments to Jersey Battery to the south. Armed with three 12-pounders and two mortars.
Captured in November 1776 with the fall of the city to British troops. Reconstructed, improved and used by the British during their occupation of New York City. The land side redoubt was renamed by the British as Star Redoubt (2) while Grenadier's Battery became the Foundry Redoubt. Entrenchments extended up to present day Hubert Street.
The complex was returned to Patriot control when the British evacuated New York City on 25 Nov 1783. Abandoned as a fortification later in 1783 at the end of the war.
No remains. Said to have been located at the intersection of Washington Street and Harrison Street in New York City. Entrenchment extended up to Hubert Street and Washington.