Lazaretto Battery (1813-1815) - A War of 1812 Battery first established in 1813 on Lazaretto Point, Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Maryland. Abandoned in 1815.
History of Lazaretto Battery
Established in 1813 as a three gun redoubt directly across the Patapsco River from Fort McHenry.
The Battery participated in the defense of Fort McHenry in September 1814 when the British fleet attempted to send troop barges around Fort McHenry. A cable was stretched across the entrance between the fort and the battery, and fire from the Lazaretto Battery, Fort Covington (3), Fort Babcock (1) and Fort Look-Out forced the British to abandon the attack.
Abandoned in 1815.
No remains, the site is now a concrete factory in Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Maryland.
Lazaretto Battery Picture Gallery