Fort Covington (3)
Fort Covington (3) (1813-1836) - A War of 1812 Fort first established in 1813 in present day Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland. Named Fort Covington after Brigadier General Leonard Covington who was mortally wounded in the Battle of Chrysler's Field on 11 Nov 1813 in Upper Canada. Abandoned in 1836. Also known as Fort Patapsco or Fort Wadsworth for Colonel Decius Wadsworth, U.S. Chief of Ordnance Department.
History of Fort Covington
Established in 1813 during the War of 1812 as a pie slice shaped semi-circular battery 1.5 miles due west of Fort McHenry. The fort was designed by Captain Samuel Babcock (Cullum 32), U.S. Corps of Engineers, with a surrounding 10' high brick wall and a 16' ditch in front of a parapet designed for 10-12 18-pounders. Inside the fort was a barracks and magazine.
In 1814 during the Battle of Baltimore it was armed with seven 18-pounders en-barbette and manned by a naval company. On the evening of 13 Sep 1814 Fort Covington and nearby Fort Babcock (1) and Fort Look-Out repulsed a British fleet attempting to outflank Fort McHenry.
No remains in Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland.
Fort Covington (3) Picture Gallery