Fort de L'Isle
Fort de L'Isle (1799-1802) - A Hudson's Bay Company fur trading post established in 1799 on Fort Island in the North Saskatchewan River near present day Myrnam, Alberta. Abandoned in 1802. Established in conjunction with the North West Company. Also known as Island House.
History of Fort de L'Isle
A Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) fur trading post established in 1799 on Fort Island in conjunction with the North West Company (NWC). The two companies established trading posts on the island sharing a common palisade. These posts were moved from Fort George and Buckingham House further up the river because the fur trade had declined at that location and because the competing XY Company had established a post on the island. The three companies jockeyed for the trade on the Island and some serious difficulties arose between them.
Archeological remains on Fort Island in the North Saskatchewan River near present day Myrnam, Alberta. The west tip of the island can be viewed from the Alberta Highway 881 bridge. Access to the island is by motorboat as the current is swift passing the island.
Visited: Area 18 Jul 2014