Buckingham House (1792-1800) - A Hudson's Bay Company post established by William Tomison in 1792 near present day Elk Point, Alberta, Canada. The North West Company had earlier established Fort George nearby. Abandoned in 1800.
History of Buckingham House
Established in October 1792 by William Tomison for the Hudson's Bay Company in response to the building of Fort George by the North West Company. Tomison built Buckingham House just several hundred yards from Fort George but on higher ground. Fort George was always the larger of the two posts with some 60 men and their families while Buckingham House had about 38 men and their families. The two posts shared a water supply (well) and came together when a common defense was required. There was a fierce competition for the fur trade.
The competition for beaver pelts caused a drastic decline in the local beaver population and in 1800 both posts were abandoned and moved further upriver where the beaver still thrived.
Part of the Fort George and Buckingham House Provincial Historic Site near Elk Point, Alberta. The Buckingham House site is interpreted with poles indicating the palisade corners and gates. Major buildings are outlined with timbers and built up corners. No replica buildings. Lots of interpretive signage and a monument.
Visited: 18 Jul 2014