Fort Western (1754-1769, 1775-1778) - A fortified colonial store house established in 1754 by Kennebec Proprietors in present day Augusta, Kennebec County, Maine. Probably named for Thomas Western of Sussex, England. Built on the site of previous fur trading post. Abandoned in 1769.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
This post was established at the head of navigation on the Kennebec River. The head of navigation required the supply boats from Boston to off-load their supplies and have them stored for later transport by shallow draft flat bottomed boats 17 miles upriver to the next fort in the chain, Fort Halifax (1).
The post was built right on the Kennebec River bank surrounded on three sides with an outer stockade and protected with two internal blockhouses on opposing corners. The outer stockade was a rectangle about 220' by 120'. The inner parade was 160' by 62' in front of the main storehouse which was two full stories high and measured 100' long by 32' wide.
The post was garrisoned by 15-20 men under the command of Captain James Howard. Howard remained the commander of the garrison until he bought the post from the Kennebec Proprietors in 1769 and converted it into a trading post.
Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
The main building is restored and is a National Historic Landmark, Kennebec County, Maine
Visited: 16 Jun 2012