Fort Wagner (1)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Wagner (1) (1862-1865) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War post established in 1862 on Morris Island, Charleston County, South Carolina. Captured in 1863 by Union forces and renamed Fort Strong (3). Abandoned at the end of the war in 1865. Also known as Battery Wagner (3).
Fort Wagner (1) History
Fort Wagner was built at a strategic point across the neck of Morris Island to provide landside protection for the two forts on Cummings Point, Fort Gregg (3) and Fort Chatfield. Cummings point had a direct view of Fort Sumter and the south entrance to Charleston Harbor. Fort Wagner spanned the whole neck of Morris Island, from the ocean on the east side and a swamp on the west side. The placement of the fort made it very difficult to assault and allowed only one regiment at a time to approach.
No remains on Morris Island, Charleston County, South Carolina
Location: Morris Island, Charleston County, South Carolina. Map point is approximate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 32.7375019 Long: -79.8720376
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 724
- North American Forts - Fort Wagner
- Wikipedia - Fort Wagner
- Wikipedia - Second Battle of Fort Wagner
- Civil War Trust - Fort Wagner
Fort Wagner (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!