Fort Gregg (3)
Fort Gregg (3) (1863-1865) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War post established in 1863 on Morris Island in Charleston Harbor, Charleston County, South Carolina. Capture by Union forces in September 1863 and renamed Fort Putnam after Colonel Halderman S. Putnam, who died in the assault on Fort Wagner. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1865.
Fort Gregg was established early in 1863 by Confederates to protect Fort Sumter and the approaches to Charleston. The fort was a earthworks on the tip of Morris Island on Cummings Point. Two heavy mortars were placed in the works.
Fort Wagner and Fort Chatfield were placed south of Cummings Point. Fort Wagner provided land side protection for the other two forts. Union forces attacked Morris Island and Fort Wagner twice and besieged it until it was abandoned by Confederate forces on the night of 6-7 Sept 1863. Fort Chatfield and Fort Gregg fell soon after.
After the capture of Morris Island by Union forces, the fort was renamed Fort Putnam and outfitted with two 100-pounder Parrot rifled guns. The three forts on Morris island bombarded nearby Fort Sumter for 13 months (17 Aug 1863 to 18 Sep 1864), reducing it to a pile of rubble. The reduction was successful but the Union forces were unable to take Fort Sumter until it was abandoned late in the war.
No remains on Morris Island in Charleston Harbor, Charleston County, South Carolina.
Fort Gregg (3) Picture Gallery