Fort Totten (2)

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Fort Calendar Fort Blogs

Fort Totten (2) (1861-1865) Fort Totten was one of the approximately 68 forts that surrounded the city of Washington DC and protected it during the U.S. Civil War period from Confederate invasion. Construction began in August 1861 and was completed in 1863. The fort was named after Brigadier General Joseph G. Totten, Chief of Engineers.

Fort Totten Earthworks
Fort Totten Gun Position
Fort Totten Site

Fort Totten (2) History

Fort Totten Interior


The fort itself was a 270 yard, seven sided polygon surrounded by a dry moat that was twelve feet wide and seven feet deep. The walls of the fort were constructed of earth fifteen feet thick and eight feet high. The fort's armament included some 20 cannon and mortars and a long range 100-pounder Parrot Rifle. The fort saw action in support of Fort Stevens (2) when that fort was attacked by Confederate General Jubal Anderson Early on 11 and 12 July, 1864.

Current Status

The site is maintained by the National Park Service and is in a very poor state of preservation. Remnants of the earthworks and fortification features can be distinguished but are covered with trees and underbrush. The single onsite interpretive sign is in bad shape. The two roadside signs are in better shape.


USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:

  • Name: Fort Totten Type: Historical Class: Military ID: 531854
  • Location: District of Columbia, District of Columbia, US, FIPS Code: 11001
  • Latitude: 38.9486111, Longitude: -77.0047222, Elevation: 318 Map: Washington West
  • As Of: 01 Apr 1993
Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names

Location: Maps & Images

Lat: 38.947895 Long: -77.005191

See Also:

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 22 May 2013

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox