Battery Totten (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War gun battery established in 1861 in Northeast Washington DC inadvance of Fort Totten The battery was probably named after Brigadier General Joseph G. Totten, Chief of Engineers, just as was the nearby fort. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Fort Totten and Battery Totten Map
History of Battery Totten
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as an earthworks gun battery in advance of Fort Totten.
The Battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
In Fort Totten Park in Northeast Washington DC. Some earthworks remains, several markers for the Fort.
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 141.