Fort Stockton (3)

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Stockton (3) (1846-1848) - A U.S. Navy and Marine Fort established in 1846 as Fort DuPont (3) during the Mexican War by U.S. Marines and U.S. Navy personnel in present day San Diego, San Diego County, California. Originally named for Navy Captain Samuel F. DuPont, captain of the sloop USS Cyane. The fort was retaken by Mexican forces in October 1846 and remained under their control until recaptured by U.S. Admiral Robert F. Stockton in November 1846. The fort was renamed Fort Stockton after the Admiral. The post was abandoned in 1848 at the end of the Mexican War. Also known as Fort San Diego and Garrison at San Diego.

Fort Stockton Mormon Battalion Mural
Fort Stockton Mormon Statue Memorial
Fort Stockton Site

Mexican War (1864-1848)

This post was established on the site of former Mexican fortifications atop Presidio Hill in San Diego. Navy Captain Samuel F. DuPont, captain of the sloop USS Cyane landed U.S. Navy and Marine forces in San Diego and established Fort DuPont (3) on 29 Jul 1846. The fortification was a simple earthworks with twelve embrasures for cannon and a ditch in front of them.

The fort was retaken by Mexican forces in October 1846 and remained under their control until recaptured by U.S. Admiral Robert F. Stockton in November 1846.

On 27 Jan 1847 the Mormon Battalion arrived at San Diego and occupied both Fort Stockton and the nearby abandoned Mission San Diego. The majority of the Mormon Battalion moved on to Los Angeles and mustered out 16 Jul 1847. Company B remained at San Diego and was garrisoned at Mission San Diego until they mustered out. Some eighty one of the Mormon Battalion reenlisted for an additional six months and part of that group remained at San Diego. Fort Stockton was abandoned in 1848 at the end of the Mexican War.

Current Status

Fort Stockton Marker

Presidio City Park, San Diego County, California. The fort site at the top of Presidio Hill is marked and contains monuments, statues and a flag pole to commemorate both the fort and the Mormon Battalion. The site is supposed to have an original cannon, "El Jupiter", from Fort Guijarros but it was not at the site location and the concrete mount was damaged.



USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1869297


Location: Presidio City Park, San Diego County, California.

Maps & Images

Lat: 32.757357 Long: -117.194159

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 22 Jan 2013

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox