Fort Guijarros (1797-1838) - A Spanish Colonial Fort established in 1797 at the base of Ballast Point in present day San Diego, San Diego County, California. Abandoned in 1838. Also known as El Castillo de San Joaquin.
Fort Guijarros History
A Spanish Colonial Fort established in 1797 on Ballast Point at San Diego. The post was built at the direction of Viceroy Revilla Gigedo and designed by Spanish Engineering Lt. Alberto de Cordoba. The post was built from local materials and materials shipped in from other Alta Califonia locations, including planks from Monterey and cart axels from Santa Barbara. The fortification structures included a cannon battery, a wooden magazine, a wooden casemate and a Barracks. The armament varied over the years but was generally was described as lacking and, as reported, ineffective on two occasions when it was used. The number of guns is variously described as eight to twelve cannons.
Fort Guijarros deteriorated in the 1830s under Mexican rule. The garrison was withdrawn in 1835 and the fort was abandoned in 1838. By the time the Americans arrived in 1846, the fort was in ruins and had no military value.
Archeological remains only on Navy Base Point Loma, San Diego County, California.