Fort Stanley (1863-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1863 in Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. Named Fort Stanley in G.O. 37, 11 Dec 1863 (Army of the Ohio), after Captain C.B. Stanley,45th Ohio Mounted Infantry, who was mortally wounded in action at Philadelphia, Tennessee. Fort abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Stanley
Fort Stanley was one of 20 named Union fortifications surrounding Knoxville, Tennessee (8 Forts and 12 Batteries) during the U.S. Civil War. This ring of defenses was established late in 1863 to counter a Confederate threat to the city. Confederate forces attempted to capture the city in November-December 1863 and laid siege to the city. Large losses were sustained by Confederate forces attempting to take Fort Sanders and the Confederates withdrew, lifting the siege.
The Fort was hastily established in 1863 on a hill at the end of Gay Street to counter the Confederate threat to the city. The fort included all the works on the central hill on the south side of the river.
Abandoned in 1865.
Remains overgrown. Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee.