Fort St. Stephens
Fort St. Stephens (1789-1799, 1805-1808, 1813-1815) - Initially a Spanish Colonial era Fort established as Fort San Estevan in 1789 near present-day St. Stephens, Washington County, Alabama. Reverted to U.S. control in 1799 when it was found to be on the U.S. side of the boundary but was not U.S. occupied. Occupied 1805-1808 as the Choctaw Indian Agency. Militia/settler occupied 1813-1815 during the Creek Indian War and then abandoned.
Established by the Spanish in 1789 along the west bank of the Tombigbee River near present-day St. Stephens in Washington County, Alabama. The fort reverted to the new U.S. Government in 1799 when it was found to be on the U.S. side of the Spanish/U.S. boundary.
The fort and the nearby town were turned over to American Lieutenant John McClary and troops of the 2nd U.S. Infantry on 5 May 1799. McClary and his men marched from Natchez, Mississippi, to take possession of Fort St. Stephens. The Americans did not garrison Fort St. Stephens but instead built Fort Stoddert along the Mobile River to the south.
Tha abandoned post was next occupied in 1805-1808 as the Choctaw Indian Agency. Militia/settler forces occupied the post during the Creek Indian War (1813-1815). The post was permanently abandoned in 1815.
Archeological remains only. The site is a part of the St. Stephens Historical Park.