Fort Stoddert (1799-1814) - A Federal Fort first established in 1799 in Mobile County, Alabama. Named Fort Stoddert after Benjamin Stoddert, Secretary of the Navy (1798-1801). Abandoned in 1814. Also known as Fort Stoddart and Fort Stoddard.
History of Fort Stoddert
Established in 1799 by Captain Bartholomew Schaumburgh, 2nd U.S. Infantry as a stockaded fort with blockhouses at all four corners. The fort was located at the western end of the Federal Road from Fort Wilkinson in Georgia.
Aaron Burr was held prisoner here for several days after his capture in 1807 for treason against the United States. Burr, who was disguised as a river boatman, was arrested by the fort commander Lieutenant Edmund P. Gaines.
During the Creek Indian War General Ferdinand L. Claiborne posted his Mississippi Militia to the fort and distributed troops to the many settler forts in the area. He moved his headquarters in 1814 and Fort Stoddard was abandoned.
Marker only in Mobile County, Alabama.