Fort St. Simons
Fort St. Simons (1736-1742) - First established in 1736 by General James Oglethorpe on St. Simons Island in present day Glynn County, Georgia. Abandoned in 1742.
Fort St. Simons History
Fort St. Simons was built as a small isolated post on the southern tip of St. Simons Island to guard the entrance to Jekyl sound and Fort Frederica.
On 25 Sep 1738 the military garrison and the townspeople at Fort Frederica started a six mile road to Fort St. Simons. The military road was completed in three days linking the two forts and greatly strengthened the island's defenses.
Fort St. Simons was captured by Spanish forces in July 1742 but the Spanish invaders were defeated on 7 Jul 1742 at Gully Hole Creek and Bloody Marsh. The Spanish forces burned down Fort St. Simons when they left the Island.
Marker only on St. Simons Island, Glynn County, Georgia