|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Sedgwick (1864-1871) - A U.S. Army post established in 1864 as the Post at Julesburg Station by Colonel Christopher H. McNally, 3rd Volunteer Infantry in Sedgwick County, Colorado. Renamed 27 Sep 1865 for Major General John Sedgwick (Cullum 914), who was killed 9 May 1864 at Spotsylvania, during the U.S. Civil War. Abandoned in 1871. Also known as Camp Rankin and Fort Rankin.
Fort Sedgwick History
A U.S. Army post established 17 May 1864 as the Post at Julesburg Station by Colonel Christopher H. McNally, 3rd Volunteer Infantry in Sedgwick County, Colorado. This post was located at a strategic point of several river crossings that included a branch of the overland trail and the emigrant trail west for the purpose of protecting these important routes from hostile Indian attacks.. The South Platte River was about a quarter mile away. The post was renamed 27 Sep 1865 for Major General John Sedgwick.
The post was abandoned on 31 May 1871 after the end of Indian hostilities and transferred to the Department of Interior 22 Jul 1884.
Private property, one marker in Ovid and one roadside marker near the location of the post hospital alongside CR 28, Sedgwick County, Colorado.
Location: Near Ovid in Sedgwick County, Colorado.
Maps & Images
Lat: 40.9430477 Long: -102.3804646
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 114
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 46
Fort Sedgwick Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!