Fort Scott (4)
Fort Scott (4) (1814-1815) - A U.S. Army earthworks 8 gun redoubt established in 1814 during the War of 1812 by Brigadier General Alexander Macomb in Plattsburgh, Clinton County, New York. Named for Lt. Colonel Winfield Scott. Abandoned in 1815.
Fort Scott (4) History
This 8 gun redoubt was one of three redoubts stretched between the Saranac River and Lake Champaign at Plattsburgh (Fort Brown (3), Fort Moreau and Fort Scott (4)). These redoubts were located on a larger post known as Cantonment Plattsburgh. All three were built after the first British attack in 1813 on Plattsburgh in anticipation of a second attack.
The second Battle of Plattsburgh was fought in and around Plattsburgh by both ground and naval forces on 11 Sep 1814. The British forces under Sir George Prevost attacked with a Naval force and 15,000 regular British troops. The American land forces under General Alexander Macomb and naval forces under Commodore Thomas Macgonough managed to overcome the British fleet and force the British Army back to Canada. This victory thwarted British plans to take New York City and to control Lake Champaign and helped to end the war three months later.
Plattsburgh, Clinton County, New York.
Visited: 18 Jul 2012