Fort Moreau (1814-1815) - A large U.S. Army 12 gun earthworks redoubt established in 1814 during the War of 1812 by Brigadier General Alexander Macomb in Plattsburgh, Clinton County, New York. Abandoned in 1815.
Fort Moreau History
This 12 gun redoubt was the largest of three redoubts stretched between the Saranac River and Lake Champaign at Plattsburgh (Fort Brown (3), Fort Moreau and Fort Scott (4)). These redoubts were located on a larger post known as Cantonment Plattsburgh. All three were built after the first British attack in 1813 on Plattsburgh in anticipation of a second attack.
The second Battle of Plattsburgh was fought in and around Plattsburgh by both ground and naval forces on 11 Sep 1814. The British forces under Sir George Prevost attacked with a Naval force and 15,000 regular British troops. The American land forces under General Alexander Macomb and naval forces under Commodore Thomas Macgonough managed to overcome the British fleet and force the British Army back to Canada. This victory thwarted British plans to take New York City and to control Lake Champaign and helped to end the war three months later.
Plattsburgh, Clinton County, New York.
Location: Plattsburgh, Clinton County, New York.
Maps & Images
Lat: 44.6889384 Long: -73.4479645
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 567
Visited: 18 Jul 2012
Fort Moreau Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!