Fort Schellbourne

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Schellbourne (1860-1869) - Originally a station on the Pony Express and Overland Stage Route in use between 1859-1869 at Shell Creek in White Pine County, Nevada. Burned down by hostile Indians in 1860 and thereafter garrisoned by troops protecting the route. Possibly named after Major A. J. Schell, commander of troops at the station. Abandoned in 1869. Also known as Schell Creek Station, Fort Schell and Camp Schell.

Schellbourne Marker at the Rest Stop.
Schellbourne Pony Express Rider Depiction at the Rest Stop.
Schellbourne Ranch, site of Fort Schellbourne.

Current Status

Schellbourne Ranch Gate.

Private property in White Pine County, Nevada. No public access. A set of markers depicting Schellbourne's past is located at a rest stop at the intersection of U.S. 93 and County Road 18. The site of Fort Schellbourne and Schellbourne Ranch is located about three miles east of the rest stop on County Road 18. The ranch can be viewed from the road.


Location: Private property, White Pine County, Nevada. Map point is the GNIS map point and may not be accurate.

Maps & Images

Lat: 39.79715 Long: -114.68058

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 18 Oct 2016


Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox