Fort Schellbourne (1860-1869) - Originally a station on the Pony Express and Overland Stage Route in use between 1859-1869 at Shell Creek in White Pine County, Nevada. Burned down by hostile Indians in 1860 and thereafter garrisoned by troops protecting the route. Possibly named after Major A. J. Schell, commander of troops at the station. Abandoned in 1869. Also known as Schell Creek Station, Fort Schell and Camp Schell.
Private property in White Pine County, Nevada. No public access. A set of markers depicting Schellbourne's past is located at a rest stop at the intersection of U.S. 93 and County Road 18. The site of Fort Schellbourne and Schellbourne Ranch is located about three miles east of the rest stop on County Road 18. The ranch can be viewed from the road.
Visited: 18 Oct 2016