Fort Ringgold (1848-1861) (1865-1906) (1917-1944) - Established on 26 Oct 1848 by two companies of the 1st U.S. Infantry led by Bvt. Major Joseph H. LaMotte (Cullum 495). Known as Camp Ringgold and Ringgold Barracks before being named Fort Ringgold in 1878. Named after Bvt. Major Samuel Ringgold who was the first U.S. Army Officer to die from wounds received in the battle of Palo Alto (8 May 1846) during the Mexican War.
Fort Ringgold History
The fort was occupied from 1848 until the U.S. Civil War began in 1861; from 1865 until 1906; and from 1917 to 1944. The U.S. Army declared the fort surplus and disposed of the property in 1944.
The Rio Grande Consolidated ISD purchased the fort property in 1949. Since 1988 the district maintained the standing buildings, the best known is the Lee House, where Robert E. Lee resided in 1860. The fort was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.