Fort Quintana (1862-1865) - A Confederate earthworks fort established in 1862 in present day Quintana, Brazoria County, Texas. Abandoned in 1865 as the U.S. Civil War came to an end.
Fort Quintana History
A Confederate earthworks fort established in 1862 on the south bank at the mouth of the Brazos River at the small town of Quintana. The sodded sand earthworks mounted two cannons complementing the six cannon mounted across the river at Fort Velasco. The two forts effectively blocked Union access to the Brazos river and supported Confederate blockade runners who were bringing scarce supplies into Texas.
Fort Quintana was abandoned in 1865 as the U.S. Civil War came to an end.
No remains, may be part of Quintana Beach County Park, Brazoria County, Texas
Visited: 15 Dec 2011