Fort Velasco

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Velasco (1832, 1836, 1863-1865) - A Mexican post first established in 1832 by Colonel Dominic Ugartchea in present day Surfside Beach, Brazoria County, Texas. Evacuated in June 1832 and occupied by Republic of Texas forces in 1836. Occupied by Confederate forces 1863-1865. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the U.S. Civil War.

Fort Velasco Reconstruction Concept Plan
Proposed Location of Fort Velasco Reconstruction
Fort Velasco Locale from Quintana

Fort Velasco History

A Mexican post first established in 1832 by Colonel Dominic Ugartchea to prevent American goods and colonists from entering Mexican Texas. Evacuated 27 June 1832 after an attack by Texans under John Austin. Occupied and armed by Republic of Texas forces in May 1836.

U.S. Civil War

Occupied by Confederate forces 1863-1865 and armed with six 24-pounder smoothbore cannons. Fort Velasco provided a haven for Confederate blockade runners and kept Union gunships from accessing the mouth of the Brazos River. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the U.S. Civil War.

Current Status

Markers in Surfside Beach, Brazoria County, Texas. Marker map point is accurate but fort map point is approximate.

Velasco Marker
Velasco CSA Marker
Inter-Coastal Waterway Marker
Fort Velasco Marker Row

Location: Surfside Beach, Brazoria County, Texas.

Maps & Images

Lat: 28.94036 Long: -95.29861

Sources:


Links:

Visited: 15 Dec 2011

Fort Velasco Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!


Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox