Fort Pocahontas (1)
Fort Pocahontas (1) (1861-1862, 1862-1865) - A U.S. Civil War post established in 1861 by Confederate forces on Jamestown Island in present day James City County, Virginia. Abandoned by the Confederates in 1862 and occupied by Union forces for the duration of the war.
Fort Pocahontas (1) History
Established as a Confederate U.S. Civil War earthworks shore battery with 18 guns. The fort was one of five Confederate posts positioned on Jamestown Island to protect the island and cover the James River ship channel leading toward the Confederate Capitol at Richmond.
Construction on the fortifications began in the spring of 1861 under the supervision of William Allen the island's owner who raised the troops at his own expense to occupy the positions. The fort was completed under the supervision of Confederate engineer Lieutenant Catesby ap Roger Jones. General Robert E. Lee personally inspected the fortification on 5 Jun 1861.
As Union forces advanced up the James River the fort was burned and abandoned by the Confederates on 3 May 1862. The fort remained under Union control for the duration of the war.
Part of the Jamestown Historical Site in Jamestown, James City County, Virginia. The original U.S. Civil War site was located adjacent to and may have overlapped the colonial James Fort. Archeologists have uncovered remains of the powder magazine and the gun platforms.
Visited: 14 May 2013