Fort Milam (1)
Fort Milam (1) (1834-1839) - Established in 1834 as Fort Viesca to protect the settlers of Robertson's Colony and renamed Fort Milam in Dec 1835 after Benjamin R. Milam who was killed at the siege of San Antonio that month. Also known as Fort Viesca and Fort Sarah ville de Viesca.
Fort Milam History
This fort was organized during the Republic of Texas period and initially garrisoned by three Texas Ranger companies under Col. Edward Burleson. Detachments were sent to construct Little River Fort in 1836 and Fort Fisher (1) and Fort Henderson in 1837. Enlistment periods began to expire during the summer of 1837 and the fort was abandoned. It was used sporadically until 1839.
The Fort Milam site is now marked only by a stone monument four miles southwest of Marlin, Falls County, Texas.