Fort Lesley J. McNair
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Lesley J. McNair (1791-Present) - First established in 1791 as Fort at Turkey Buzzard. Name chronology listed below. Active military installation.
Fort Lesley J. McNair History
- 1791 Fort at Turkey Buzzard and later the U.S. Arsenal at Greenleaf's Point
- 1857 Washington Arsenal
- 1881 U.S. Barracks
- 1881 Washington Barracks
- 1927 Army War College
- 1935 Fort Humphreys - Named after MG Andrew A. Humphreys (Cullum 641)
- 1939 Army War College
- 1948 Fort Lesley J. McNair - Named after Lt. Gen. Lesley J. McNair (Cullum 4225)
Fort McNair has served as the Headquarters of the U.S. Army Military District of Washington since 1966.
Fort McNair is currently home to the National Defense University, established in 1976, which is the parent organization of the National War College, the Industrial College of the Armed Forces and the Information Resources Management College, all on post.
Fort McNair is also the home of Company A, 3rd U.S. Infantry, the Commander-in-Chief's Guard, who wear the colonial uniform during significant events and the U.S. Army Center of Military History.
Location: Southwest Washington DC.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.867513 Long: -77.016864
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 136
- North American Forts - Fort Lesley J. McNair
- Fort Lesley J. McNair
- Wikipedia - Fort Lesley J. McNair
Visited: 22 May 2013