Fort Greble (1)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Greble (1) (1861-1869) - A Union post established in 1861 during the U.S. Civil War in the District of Columbia. Named for 1st Lieutenant John T. Greble, who was killed at the battle of Big Bethel, Virginia, 10 Jul 1861. Turned over to the Signal Corps in 1868 as a training facility and later abandoned in 1869.
Fort Greble (1) History
A Union defensive fort established in 1861 during the U.S. Civil War as a part of a string of fortifications around Washington, DC. The fort mounted 17 guns and mortars and protected the junction of the Anacostia and Potomac rivers and the Washington Navy Yard. The fort was octagonal and had a 327' perimeter. The fort was positioned between Fort Carroll (3) and Fort Foote (1). After the war was over the post was turned over to the Signal Corps in 1868 for use as a training facility but was later abandoned in 1869.
Marker located at the entrance to Fort Greble Park and the remains of the fort earthworks are located behind the marker.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Fort Greble Type: Historical Class: Military ID: 531308
- Location: District of Columbia, District of Columbia, US, FIPS Code: 11001
- Latitude: 38.8272222, Longitude: -77.0147222, Elevation: 157 Map: Alexandria
- As Of: 01 Apr 1993
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: Fort Greble Park, marker is at the intersection of Elmira Street SE and Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, Washington DC
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.8272 Long: -77.0147
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 135
- North American Forts - Fort Greble
- Wikipedia - Fort Greble
- NPS - Fort Greble
- Historical Marker Database - Fort Greble
Visited: 22 May 2013
Fort Greble (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!