Fort Carroll (3) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War earthworks fort established in 1861 in Washington DC. Named after Major General Samuel S. Carroll, (Cullum 1754). Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Fort Carroll History
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
A large U.S. Civil War earthworks fortification begun in September 1861. The fort mounted 13 guns and 1 mortar.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Carroll, Capt. Loring S. Richardson commanding.–Garrison, one company Eighth Unattached Heavy Artillery, Massachusetts Volunteers–4 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance sergeant, 124 men. Armament, six 12-pounder field guns, four 32-pounder barbette, two 8-inch siege howitzers, one Coehorn mortar, one 30-pounder Parrott. Magazines, two; dry and in good order. Ammunition, not a full supply, but serviceable: requisition made for full supply. Implements, complete and serviceable. Garrison drilled only as infantry."
Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 863307
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 134