|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Graham (1849-1852) - A U.S. Army post established 27 Mar 1849 by Major Ripley A. Arnold, 2nd U.S. Dragoons, and named after either James D. Graham of the Corps of Topographical Engineers or Lt. Colonel William M. Graham of the 2nd U.S. Dragoons who was killed in the Mexican War. Abandoned 9 Nov 1853 as the frontier moved further west.
Fort Graham History
The fort was one of 8 established after the Mexican War along the then western frontier. These forts were built under the command of Gen. George Mercer Brooke and served to establish Federal authority along the frontier. The forts were Fort Inge (1849-1869), Fort Lincoln (1) (1849-1852), Fort Martin Scott (1848-1866), Fort Croghan (1) (1849–1855), Fort Gates (1849-1852), Fort Graham (1849-1853), and Fort Worth (1849-1853).
No hostile actions were reported at the fort and the major functions of the fort were to provide the local area with protection against hostile Indians and to report Indian activity.
Reconstruction of a barracks and a highway marker.
Location: Fort Graham Park from Whitney take FM 933 north about 5.3 miles turn west onto FM 2604 and follow to Old Fort Park, barracks and marker located on Cedar Hill Road. Map location is approximate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 32.003491 Long: -97.396052
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 150
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 160
- Myres, Sandra L., Fort Graham, Listening Post on the Texas Frontier, West Texas Historical Association Year Book 59 (1983)
- Fort Graham Resolution
- North American Forts - Fort Graham
- Fort Graham Preservation Society, Inc.
- The Handbook of Texas OnLine
- Fort Tours - Fort Graham
Fort Graham Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!