Fort Drummond (2)
Fort Drummond (2) (1815-1828) - A British Army post established in 1815 after the War of 1812 by British Lieutenant Colonel Robert McDonall on present day Drummond Island in Chippewa County, Michigan. The British garrisons at Fort Mackinac and Fort Collyer (1) moved to Fort Drummond when those posts became United States property at the end of the war. Fort Drummond was abandoned by the British in 1828 after Drummond Island was also judged to be United States territory. Also known as Fort Collyer (2).
Fort Drummond (2) History
Established in 1815 after the War of 1812 by British Lieutenant Colonel Robert McDonall as a replacement for Fort Mackinac and Fort Collyer (1). Both of those posts had become United States property. The British garrison at Fort Mackinac completed their move to Fort Drummond on 18 Jul 1815 and that fort was turned over to the Americans.
Because the move to Drummond island happened late in the year both the military and the civilians who departed with them were hard pressed to build suitable quarters before the harsh winter set in. Several men died during that first winter. Fort Drummond and the nearby civilian village were located at Collier's Harbor, the village on the east side and the military post on the west side. The military post was strung out along the shore with a parade in front of the quarters. The village was laid out in a three street by two street grid and connected to the military post.
Fort Drummond was subsequently abandoned by the British in 1828 after Drummond Island was also judged to be United States territory in 1822. The British garrison moved to Penetanguishene Army Depot and Barracks. The US did not garrison the post after it was turned over and it fell into ruins.
Some ruins and a marker on Drummond Island, Chippewa County, Michigan. The marker is located at the ferry landing on the left side of the road as you come off the ferry, near the road intersection. The Drummond Island Historical Society Museum has many artifacts, maps, and documents related to Fort Drummond.
Visited: 31 Aug 2013