Fort Custer (1)
Fort Custer (1) (1877-1898) - Established 4 Jul 1877 by Ltc. Col. George P. Buell, 11th U.S. Infantry and named after Lt. Col. George A. Custer, 7th U.S. Cavalry, killed at the battle of Little Big Horn 25 Jun 1876. Abandoned 17 Apr 1898. Also known as Big Horn Post and Big Horn Barracks.
Fort Custer (1) History
Established to control the Sioux and other local Indians after the Custer Massacre in June 1876.
Fort Custer had quarters for 10 companies including stables for 6 troops of cavalry. It was built with buildings surrounding a large parade ground but had no walls or other fortifications.
When the fort was closed the buildings were sold and some of the structures and materials were used in the nearby town of Hardin, Montana.
A DAR marker is located at the edge of the old post but there are no visible remains where the post stood.
Visited: 26 May 2010