|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Conde (1711-1820) - A French colonial post first established in 1711 as Fort Louis de la Mobile in the present day City of Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama. The fort was renamed Fort Conde in 1717 and later taken over by the British in 1763 and named Fort Charlotte. The Spanish captured the Fort in 1780 and named it Fort Carlota. The U.S. captured the fort in 1813 and restored the Fort Charlotte name. Abandoned and sold in 1820.
Fort Conde History
The French town of Mobile and the associated Fort Louis de la Louisiana was moved from its first location at 27 Mile Bluff to the current location in 1711. The French built a log and earth fort at the new location and named it Fort Louis de la Mobile. This fort was rebuilt in 1717 and renamed Fort Conde.
The Spanish under Bernardo de Galvez captured the fort from the British in 1780 during the Revolutionary War at the Battle of Fort Charlotte. The Spanish renamed it Fort Carlota. Bernardo de Galvez went on to capture many of the British posts on the gulf coast including Fort George (9) at Pensacola. The loss of both Pensacola and Mobile left the British without a major post on the gulf coast and kept them from using it during the war.
Part of Historic Fort Conde complex, Mobile County, Alabama. The recreated Fort Conde is about 1/3 of the original fort in 4/5-scale on the original location. The recreated fort opened on 4 Jul 1976 as part of the U.S. Bicentennial.
Location: Historic Fort Conde, 150 South Royal St., Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama.
Maps & Images
Lat: 30.68877 Long: -88.0398
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 3
Visited: 4 Jan 2012
Fort Conde Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!