Fort Augusta (1756-1765, 1777-1782) - A Pennsylvania colonial militia fort established in 1756 during the French & Indian War by Colonel William Clapham in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. Named for Princess Augusta, mother of British King George III. Continuously garrisoned until 1765. Re-garrisoned during the Revolutionary War and finally abandoned as a fortification about 1782 and dismantled in 1794.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
The fort was a square design, 204' on a side, with bastions at each corner and a double palisade surrounding it. Two outer palisades, each with two blockhouses, stretched from the riverside bastions to the river's edge on the north and south. These outer walls and the fort itself protected a 600' long stretch of the riverbank. The fort was designed to mount at least 12 cannons and two swivel guns. Seven internal buildings included the commander's quarters, officer's quarters, three enlisted barracks and a powder magazine. The buildings were of log construction except for the magazine which was constructed underground of stone with a brick ceiling. The fort was continuously garrisoned from 1756 until 13 Jun 1765 and re-garrisoned during the Revolutionary War.
Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
Fort Augusta was a military headquarters for American forces in the upper Susquehanna Valley during the Revolutionary War. Colonel Samuel Hunter was the last commander of the fort and he retained title to the commander's quarters after it closed. Hunter and his heirs improved the property and in 1852 his grandson, Captain Samuel Hunter built the existing house that now houses the Northumberland County Historical Society. The fort fell into disuse after the Revolutionary War and was finally dismantled in 1794.
Three markers on site. The site is state owned, administered by the Northumberland County Historical Society in Sunbury, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. A small museum and genealogy library is located in the original 1852 Hunter house and addition. The original powder magazine and well still exist on the property next to the museum. Artifacts from the fort and a model of the fort are housed in the museum. Two original cannons are also on display at the museum.
Visited: 18 Apr 2012
Fort Augusta Picture Gallery