Duke of Clarence Martello Tower
Duke of Clarence Martello Tower (1796-1877) - A British colonial Martello tower established in 1798 by Prince Edward, fourth son of King George III, in present day Dartmouth, Halifax, Halifax County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Designed by Captain James Straton, Commanding Royal Engineers. Officially named Duke of Clarence's Tower on 20 Oct 1798 for the Duke of Clarence by his brother Prince Edward. Demolished in 1889.
Duke of Clarence Martello Tower History
Part of the Harbor Defense of Halifax.
One of five Martello Towers built for the defense of Halifax Harbor. The towers were mainly designed to provide land side protection for water facing batteries. The five Halifax Harbor Martello Towers were:
The Duke of Clarence Tower was built of sandstone to be 35' high, with a diameter of 50'. The walls were 6' thick all the way to the top. The tower was three stories high and could accommodate 164 troops. A seven foot wide, 8 foot deep ditch surrounded the base of the tower.
In 1863-69 the third story was removed and the tower became a barracks and magazine. The tower was demolished in 1889.
No remains of the tower.
Recent Blog Posts: