Charleston Arsenal (2)
Charleston Arsenal (2) (1825-1879) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1825 in Charleston County, South Carolina. Captured by CSA forces in 1860 just before the start of the U.S. Civil War. Returned to Union control in 1865. Abandoned in 1879 and sold to Porter Military Academy in 1888. Sometimes referred to as Charleston Barracks.
In 1825, the Federal government acquired the land for a new United States Arsenal in Charleston, South Carolina. The arsenal was partially built and then greatly enlarged about 1841. It was used to store weapons, ordnance, and ammunition. The facility also manufactured artillery and ammunition for the Mexican War.
The Charleston Arsenal was captured by South Carolina troops on 30 Dec 1860 just before the start of the war. The Confederate Chief of Ordnance, Major Josiah Gorgas, had the arsenal enlarged and modernized with the installation of steam power, he used it throughout the war as a foundry and arsenal. The arsenal was returned to Union control 18 Feb 1865 when Charleston fell to Union troops. The U.S. Army then used the Arsenal to store captured Confederate weapons.
Abandoned in 1879 and sold to Porter Military Academy in 1880.
Part of the Medical University of South Carolina campus in Charleston, Charleston County, South Carolina. The original peremeter is outlined in yellow on the map below. Several period buildings and a brick perimeter wall remain from various periods:
Visited: 14 Feb 2018