Charleston Arsenal (2)

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Fort Calendar Fort Blogs

Charleston Arsenal (2) (1841-1879) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1841 in Charleston County, South Carolina. Captured by CSA forces in 1860 just before the start of the U.S. Civil War. Returned to Union control in 1865. Abandoned in 1879 and sold to Porter Military Academy in 1888. Sometimes referred to as Charleston Barracks.

Charleston Arsenal circa 1860

Charleston Arsenal (2) History

Established in 1841 in Charleston County, South Carolina. Used to store weapons, ordnance, and ammunition. Manufactured artillery and ammunition for the Mexican War.

The arsenal was captured by South Carolina troops in December 1860 just before the start of the war. The Confederate Chief of Ordnance, Major Josiah Gorgas, had the arsenal enlarged and modernized with the installation of steam power. The arsenal was returned to Union control in February 1865 when Charleston fell to Union troops.

Abandoned in 1879 and sold to Porter Military Academy in 1888.

Current Status

Part of the Medical University of South Carolina campus in Charleston, Charleston County, South Carolina. Several period buildings and a brick perimeter wall remain:

  • St. Luke's Chapel - 1825-1830 Old arsenal storage building
  • Waring Library - 1894 Porter Military Academy Library
  • Colcock Hall - 1861-1862 Confederate ordnance manufacture and repair

Location: Medical University of South Carolina campus in Charleston, Charleston County, South Carolina.

Maps & Images

Lat: 32.786667 Long: -79.947778

Sources:

Links:

Visited: No

Charleston Arsenal (2) Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox