Camp Stuart (1)
Camp Stuart (1) (1851-1853) - Established 17 Jun 1851 by Major Philip Kearny, 1st U.S. Dragoons during the Rogue River Indian War and used intermittently until 1853. Named after Captain James Stuart (Cullum 1310), who died 18 Jun 1851 in camp from an Indian arrow wound received in battle the day before. Sometimes referred to as Camp Stewart (1).
A marker is on the site southeast of Medford off Interstate 5 (Marker could not be found).
Location: Located in Phoenix, Jackson County, Oregon.
Maps & Images
Lat: 42.27556 Long: -122.81694
- Victor, Frances Fuller, The Early Indian Wars of Oregon: compiled from the Oregon Archives and other Original Sources with Muster Rolls, Farnk C. Baker, State Printer, Salem, Oregon, 1894, page 275-276
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 136-137
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 151-152
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 668
Visited: 11 Nov 2013 Locale
Camp Stuart (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!