Camp McKinley (4)
Camp McKinley (4) (1898-1907) - A Spanish American War Camp first established in 1898 at the foot of Diamond Head near present day Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii. Named Camp McKinley after President William McKinley. Abandoned in 1907. Also known as McKinley Barracks.
History of Camp McKinley
On 12 Aug 1898, the United States ratified the treaty that annexed the Hawaiian Islands. On the 16th of August 1898 two adjacent U.S. Army tent camps were established at the Kapi'olani Park racetrack at the foot of Diamond Head.
Camp Otis was a temporary tent camp established inside the track oval by troops from the Philippine Expeditionary forces who were enroute to the Philippines. Camp Otis was abandoned about 7 Nov 1898 when those forces left.
Camp McKinley was also a tent camp established just south of the track oval directly adjacent to Camp Otis. This camp was garrisoned by the 1st New York Volunteer Infantry and by elements of the 2nd U.S. Engineers. The post returns indicate that it was established as Camp McKinley on 16 Aug 1898. The 1st New York Volunteer Infantry departed Hawaii for San Francisco starting on 30 Nov 1898.
The 2nd U.S. Engineers began construction of a more permanent Camp McKinley and by November 1898 they had moved to the new site so as to be closer to the construction work. The new site was about a quarter mile north of Kapi'olani Park between Leahi and Kana'ina avenues. The original Camp McKinley was abandoned for the new site in December 1898.
The new camp was abandoned in 1907 when Fort Shafter opened.
Site part of Kapi'olani Park, Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii.