Camp Otis (1)
Camp Otis (1) (1898-1898) - A Spanish American War Camp first established in 1898 in present day Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii. Named Camp Otis by G.O. 16, Department of California, 22 Sep 1898, after Major General Elwell S. Otis, U.S. Volunteers, commanding officer in the Philippines (1898-1899). Abandoned in 1898.
History of Camp Otis
Established in 1898 on the site of a previously unnamed camp in the former racetrack at Kapiolani Park in Honolulu, Hawaii. The camp housed members of the Philippine expeditionary force that had temporally been put ashore from their troop ship, the Arizona, when it was ordered on to Manila without them.
Camp Otis was abandoned on 7 Nov 1898 when the Arizona returned from Manila and the troops departed.
No remains in Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii.